Our Map Of Where We are Headed

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

It is July 1 already!!!

I can not believe it is July 1! Time is just flying by. We are traveling for about 4 hours today to Nashville, so I will have the girls post today in the car. They really are having a great time. We all are.

Sadly we said goodbye to my favorite campspot (I wonder how many times I will say that?). We made the six hour drive from Little Talbot to Atlanta and really didn't focus on much academics at all. We listened to some more of Huckfinn and then I remembered that some other families and friends have been enjoying Night Vale. If you are not familiar with it and you are a fan of the creepy, the weird, the supernatural or dark funny, you should give it a listen. For those that are a fan, imagine us driving through Georgia, learning all about the little town of Night Vale!

Needless to say we got distracted. However, I am a huge fan of driving in Georgia. My lead foot appreciates the open stretches of lightly hilly roads. My love of aesthetics appreciates it with the ever changing scenery and surprisingly rolling countryside. I will say that my pre-conceived judgment of the South was justified yesterday when 1) At 930am, in a tiny hamlet tumbleweed town (there are no tumbleweeds in GA that I see) I witnessed a young lady in 4 in heels, pedal pushers and tube top walking down the sidewalk. When I say young I am going to say about 15. While many of you may think, "well she was at work", I will tell you it looked to me only as if she was making a fashion statement. Then 2) I pulled into a gas station advertising $3.37 gas (prices have jumped up in Florida and here) and I was greeted at the roll-dial, flip up gas pump by a semi toothless (she had 3 teeth) pump attendant who asked, "where y'all headed?." Finally 3) having forced the kids to be out before the major heat at 8am, I neglected to stick to our healthy eating on a budget and decided to stop on the road. Picking a diner off the back woods road, we perused the menu, and were confronted with a menu that was strictly contained of chicken friend and gravy covered. Well Ella had waffles (no chicken) but Katrin and I joined the Romans. :) And it was AMAZING!!! Of course 2 hours later my vegetable and lean meat filled tummy was not thanking me. Nor was Katrins! In any case, I can tell you that my pre-conceived notions did not take a beating yesterday and I was glad.

Last night was our first hotel night yet. A little treat to beat the heat, make a quick stop in Atlanta, as I have been here twice before, and take a stroll at the Six Flags Over Georgia. That makes our fourth Six Flags park ever and our third this year. It was very very cute. It is smaller than the rest and a bit run down but the creativity in its design and structures is very charming. We waited in 30 minute lines, got beat up on the old coasters the girls love (they still won't go upside down at all) and went back to sleep in real beds that we did not have to do any work to get into. As always the bird was our biggest challenge. For some reason, the pet policy at the hotel had me concerned with the way it was worded, so I told them about the bird. Sure enough, Captain was not welcome. It took some finagling but birdy got to stay in an $8 birdy hotel. :) I hope he slept as well as we did!

Off to Nashville tonight after a trip to the World Coke plant. Yes, I know it is weird that with our focus on eating healthy and drinking mainly water and flavored water, that I would want to see the Coke plant, but I do. I always have. No better time than the present!

No comments:

Our Pictures!