Our Map Of Where We are Headed

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Don't want to be lord of the flies!

So we are now in Oklahoma. Side note: First musical I ever saw! :) I am currently sitting at our camp site under some shade trees praying the wind will keep softly blowing. Ella is laying down in bed with the fan pointed right at her and Katrin is in the car with the air conditioning running playing solitaire. OK is just not that interesting or inviting. We are camped, again, on a body of water and have spent a great deal of time in the water but the heat is still a bit oppressive. It makes the act of eating lunch, what we have just done, seem like a marathon and requires a good rest / recovery.

It is much drier here then the previous places and is honestly making me dread the next couple of camp spots in TX and NM. After that, although we will still be dry, we won't be at 105+ temps. Also we have a long break in people's homes. We will get to see Doris, Aunt Sandy, Ryan, Amanda, Aaralyn and Daylin. Hopefully I will also get a chance to see Shelley and Shannon. It will be a good three weeks with maybe one camp spot in between. It should be good. I only hope I will be able to re-motivate the girls to camping after we leave that.

We just came from Missouri where we got to see Aimee, Cedric, Peter, Edie and David. It has been been over 5 years since we have seen them and it was a much needed catch up. Peter is a beautiful, gifted child. Although why I might expect anything less from Aimee and Cedric, I wouldn't know. We had a great time seeing the "Americana" of the middle of the country. It is interesting to me. It isn't who I am or will ever be but it is interesting to see. On the west coast, growing up, 4th of July was a day or maybe a vacation week with fireworks on the day, regardless of what day of the week it was. There was hot dogs, ice cream and good old fashioned Summer fun. On the east coast, 4th of July is a month or two of fireworks on Friday and/or Saturday in various towns. There are shows and parades and talks about freedom and independence. It is an event. In Missouri, it appeared to be a combination of those two philosophies and everyone and their brother was in Hannibal, MO for "Tom Sawyer Days" and the 4th celebration. Fireworks are a BIG DEAL there and huge warehouses boasting the best and the brightest abound. Cedric put on a show for us at his cabin that was equal to, or even better than the grand deal we saw over the Mississippi River.

We are coming up on the end of week 4 of traveling. Overall spirits are good. As I said the heat here has taken a bit of a toll. The car gets messier day by day (we already have had one good cleaning) and the roads started to look the same (although Missouri was fun to drive in with all the winding hills and farm roads). I personally could use a mommy break and I am sure the girls too could use a mommy break :D but it is funny how being with each other day in and day out has given us new perspectives. I know we all share it because we have discussed it a bit. I swear to God Katrin has changed her personality right before my eyes and Ella has just become a stronger version of Ella to me. It is hard to explain in writing but, it is a neat thing to have happen. I guess I took for granted that I was bonded with my children. This is a different bond.

Life Lesson: Just when you think you know....

Oh and some womanly?and some everyone type tips from the road:
Cotton sports bras that snap in the back. Trust me.
Jeans shorts that fall mid thigh can be your best friends.
You can not have enough zip lock bags EVER.
READ directions....even if it is automated.
Throw away shoes are a good bring along.
Duct tape really can fix or temporarily mend anything.

No comments:

Our Pictures!