Our Map Of Where We are Headed

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Military Row

Caution....philosophizing follows.

Today we drove from DC (Maryland really) to Virginia.  We passed Annapolis, West Point and Quantico.  In addition, we passed Jamestown, Fredricksburg, Williamsburg, Richmond, York, etc.  You couldn't help but feel the fighting force of this country.  Whether it be outside forces or each other, the military presence was Known (with a capital K). For me, this is a comforting thing.

The drive was beautiful if just straight and well congested with traffic.  Made me wish for the days that you can set your car to autopilot (Have you seen this car?) and play some Candy Crush (level 452 and not a little bit ashamed (more like a lot) thank you very much) while the world passes you by.  Alas, I was forced to watch the passing cars.  You know what I did not see?  I did not see, "Guns don't kill people, people do" stickers.  I did not see, "Teach Parents to Parent" stickers.  Nope.  I saw, Siempre Fi (Always Faithful) and military insignia galore.  I saw one car that carried the saying, "My Son Protects."  I smiled feeling safe and like the "protection" of this country continues to be in the right hands.  I hope.

I philosophized and Katrin slept!

It is the luxury of the young!  Also the necessity I suppose.  Katrin has been a GREAT co-pilot.  She finds me all the cheap cheap gas right off the freeway.  Today we only paid $3.21 a gallon!  She is learning mapping skills as well.  Whenever I miss an exit she is right there researching what happens next.  That may or may not have happened once today when I decided that the appealing, non trafficky HOV lane was calling our name, even if it didn't offer an exit for the exit I needed.  Woops!

The girls do spend a lot of time reading.  Ella is reading a book to Katrin, The Raven Boys, that she in fact has read twice!  That girl does love her books!  Truly it is a beautiful thing to see her love of reading and trying to share that with Katrin.
So, we arrived safe and happy and are settled in.  I will probably be quiet on the blogging front while we enjoy these days of "vacation".  I will let the girls handle the highlights!

Ps....on a capitalist note, it's good to see that Dunkin Donuts has died and that 7-Eleven is a thriving business.

No comments:

Our Pictures!